Monday, May 5, 2008

Poor Gas Milage

Jake and I. We suffered lots of Mud together in Costa Rica. We got some good dust time in at 5 mile.


Sea otter was a tiresome event. By the time day 4 came I was tired and I had to be on the start line for the Cross Country by 8 AM. I suffered pretty bad that day for a 44th finish in Semi Pro. Not what I was expecting. As far as my Team went??? WOW. Mitchell Petersen took 4th. Tinker 11th. The Green Lantern was 18th. 3 Pro's in the top 20 made for a Great day.
So I came home and didnt ride for almost 2 full weeks. I was worked. "Tommy need Sleepy" I rode 2 times before 5 mile. Bart G told me I needed Recovery. I did. I recovered alot. I ate alot. I was so hungry. I was stressed that I was going to start packing it on like the GodFather(who by the way isnt racing right now. He is on a personal growth Journey with his Girl.) I must not be an effiecient absorber. I ate and I ate more. 2 rides . 2 weeks later I show up at 5 mile 2 pounds lighter than at Sea Otter. What the hell?????
So I end up putting in a good ride. Finished 6th. I caught up to K day and Chad Harris at the end of lap 4 and basically ran out of race course.
The Title of my post is "Poor Gas Milage"
I quized Bart G and Alex Grant on Sunday's ride what they had for food/energy during Satrurdays race????? Bart had 3 Gu's. Alex Grant the same. Me?????????????????????????????????
Well I had 3 Bottle's of Rocket Fuel(Brad Keys Stuff), I bottle of Gatorade, 6 lime Non Caffiene Gu's, 3 Berry Caffienated Gu's, then on Lap #4 I had probably 30 to 40 Swedish Fish. 19 pieces equals 140 calories. Ingedients: Sugar, Invert Sugar, Corn Syrup, Modified Corn Starch, Citric Acid, White Mineral Oil, Artificial flavors, Red 40 and Carnauba Wax. I had a big glob of swedish fish that would make a baseball player proud, all stuffed up in my lip like a Big League Chew.
Sugar running down my throught the entire lap. I felt Great.
What I am getting at is Bart G is like a fuel efficient 40 mile to the gallon Hybrid ripping around the course. Im like an old 1969 Mustang that gets 8 miles to the gallon. Why do I have to eat so much while racing?

7 comments:

Team Rico said...

6 powergels and 1 bag of clifshot blocks, Wasnt enough. I'm like and old flatbed Ford truck. Way to finish strong!

Anonymous said...

Three bottles of Accelerade, one bottle of water (that I wished was accelerade) and a bag of clif blocks which half of them spilled out on the trail. It must have been the fish that brought the heat on me near the end. Good job!

Eat Sleep MTB said...

Half bottle of EFS, 1 bottle of Hammer Sustained energy. 2 Gu packs. But I only had to do 3 laps.

Indohran said...

Sly says with his time last year he would have been 2nd. He would have started with 1 bottle and 1 GU. With no one feeding him.
Now the question I really have is: If Bart G would have pumped more calories in during his "training ride"(While the rest of us were killing ourselves) Would he have gone even faster? Was his energy output maximized? I think mine was.

tri-sportsgirl said...

Regardless of what you inhaled during your race, you are racing awesome! I am so lucky to be on your team! It was really fun to see you finish. Just like a kid on a bike!!! Loved it!

primetime formerly known as slyfox said...

1/2 bottle water, 1 pack cherry bloks.
yaaa

Jeff Kerkove said...

You ate during your race at Sea Otter? Crap, I knew I forgot to do something.

:-)